2012 Goal: Lunch Breaks
One of my goals for this new year involves taking actual and for real breaks during the middle of the day, around the time that most people eat lunch.
This has always been a struggle for me (see previously), to get up from my desk and go somewhere else and do something that isn't work related. Most of the time I bring my lunch to work and eat it at my desk - sometimes I don't even go to the break room to reheat it and have discovered which leftovers work fine cold (risotto, stuffed pasta shells) and which ones don't (pork sauerkraut stew, taco meat).
While I'm sitting there eating my probably cold lunch, emails arrive and my phone rings and my manager knows I'm sitting there so she asks some questions and the next thing I know it's 3:30pm and I haven't gotten up from my chair to so much as pee all day.
So I have declared that the year of our Lord 2012 will be The Year Of The Lunch Breaks For Serious, amen.
Here's how the first week of this new goal has gone:
- January 2: No work, spent most of the day in my PJs
- January 3: Went to Kaladi Brothers downtown and spent an hour doing some studio work.
- January 4: I was on my way out the door when my phone rang and I knew it was important so I spent the first half of my lunch "break" speaking with my counterpart in the Juneau office. By then it was too late to really go anywhere, but instead of calling it a wash and sitting back down at my computer I sat in one of my guest chairs and worked on paying some bills. I didn't look at email or even answer my phone the next time it rang.
- January 5: Had lunch at Humpy's with a friend April and ate too many french fries.
- January 6: I did get away from my desk, but it was for a work-related luncheon. I still think it counts because I wasn't stuck to my desk and my computer.